- 4 handfuls of chickpeas.
- Half chicken.
- A piece of chorizo.
- Another bacon.
- A few branches of celery.
- A piece of pumpkin.
- Water to cook.
First step: we soak the chickpeas.
- This will be the first step we will take the day before making this stew. In a bowl we put the chickpeas and cover with water, leave to soak for 24 hours without needing to change the water or add anything.
- If we have a piece of dry ham we put it in the water of the chickpeas so that it softens and add it later.
Step two: prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Now we clean the celery branches by removing the leaves and removing the hardest strands, cut it into pieces.
- Peel the potatoes and the pumpkin, the latter we will throw it whole (in the form of half moon).
- We will choose the medium-sized potatoes to just peel them and throw them whole.
- The chicken will put it in medium pieces, to avoid that with the cooking it will undo us. The chorizo and the bacon we will put in slices, although this goes in tastes. If we put ham we include it also.
- A vegetable that is wonderful is the green beans (round or flat), if we have at home we add.
Step 3: Add water to the pot.
- Before pouring the previous ingredients into the pot, we will put water and wait for it to boil. Once it is boiling, we add the chickpeas (without the water) and everything else.
- We will see that a white foam comes out, we remove it with a skimmer and once we have it, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Fourth step: we cast.
- It is best to separate the broth from the rest of the ingredients. We keep it hot until ready to serve.
Step 5: This is the way we have to call the leftovers of the stew after frying them with whole and unpeeled garlic cloves.
- The ideal is to crumble the meat and so we take punching with fork.
- Once again the scarcity has managed to create a dish that despite being made with “leftovers” looks great.
Presentation in table and accompaniment:
– To this succulent stew we can add a piece and a veal bone that will give an even more special flavor.
– At Christmas it is typical to accompany it with “balls” and serve them with the consomme first, arriving later the plate of stew.
– If we talk about wine I am obliged to advise an intense red, any of the earth will be delighted to be the partner of our dish.